The classic map and compass navigation guide-revised for the age of GPS
GPS devices are great, but they can break, get lost, or easily be hampered by weather conditions, making basic map and compass skills essential for anyone who spends time outdoors.
This popular, easy-to-use orienteering handbook has been helping people find their way for more than fifty years.
Now updated to include information on GPS as well as current Web sites, references, sources, and photographs, it remains the book of choice for professional outdoorsmen, novice orienteers, and outdoor organizations as well as teachers, scout leaders, recreational hikers, hunters, and others around the world.
Coverage includes understanding map symbols; traveling by map alone, by compass alone, or by map and compass together; finding bearings; sketching maps; and traveling in the wilderness.
- Explains basic map and compass skills clearly
- Fully updated edition, including information on GPS
- Includes up-to-date Web site addresses, references, and sources
- Features a fresh, rugged design
- Ideal book for beginners
- If you're looking to feel more comfortable in the wilderness, this updated guide is an indispensable reference.